Thursday, March 7, 2013

Loving the alcoholic...or trying

I had a moment the other day listening to the radio.  I have to say I love NPR on Sundays.  (I hate to say I'm not a contributor.  I know I know.  This pledge drive I promise!)  But anyway, as I was listening to On Being (in case you wanted to listen to it), I was sucked in.

In short, Fr. Greg Boyle, is a priest working with gang prevention in LA.  He has changed the lives of many kids living in gang filled areas and his loving kindness blows me away.  He is truly doing the work of God.  But the way he spoke of his "homies" (or the kids he mentors), cracked me up!  All of these kids, and young adults, are former gang members that are trying to make a better life for themselves and Fr. Boyle is the man who had the faith in them.  

How does this play into my life?  This man has loved so many guys that have done some horrible things.  If he is able to find the love in his heart, I can find the love in my heart for my mom.  It may not be easy.  It may not be fun.  It may be hard work.  But it is something that I know I should do. 

No comments:

Post a Comment